Notetaker: Katherine M.
Sarah – self-funded/bootstrapping – lots of time spent consulting, not enough time on the business
Katherine – consulting business/teaching business – adding owners & getting sponsorships
S. – wants to do sustainable work – edits a publication – self funding & community support
Stephanie – looking for a job and interested in startups
Amy – founded a company, building virtual private servers is building a product – struggling with whether to take venture capital
Sarah – started consulting company about 6 months ago – wants to get some help with rates
Becka – previously an educational consultant, wants to move towards tech consulting
- Challenges of switching contexts from billable and non-billable
- questions about expanding leadership
- we’ve hired people as contractors first – hiring people on salary often gives them the wrong impression
- taking people who aren’t really able to take traditional job right now
- discomfort with bringing on people for less than market rate
- self funding
- using tools like google calendar
- billable hours tracking: harvest, mavenlink
- sometimes the right thing to do is to stand up and do something else
- when I’m working too much I lose the ability to prioritize
- mood swings
- crowdfunding / gittip
EVERYONE NEEDS A BUSINESS MANAGER 😛
- Professional Women’s Network
- what are business networking places that make sense?
- first time founder –> how people react to me as a woman
- seems like more people tend to see women-run businesses as charity events? greater pressure to “nurture” the community?
- how do we talk about rate?