By Katherine M.
Marketing for Geeks
- Summary: This session was a meeting of 5 hardcore marketing geek minds, and it was EXCITING. All attendees agreed that they rarely get to have conversations about this topic with people who are motivated in the same way that they are. My notes are not very good but I present them anyway.
- CB; Community Bridge Video “has been doing marketing forever and doesn’t know what that means, wants to learn.”
- Naisha; Microsoft, developer relations, startups and partners – trying to get people to build on Microsoft Tools – prior to that did live video streaming, wants to do more video in her work, wants people to be excited about the apps that we build, wants people to rate them – no money!, runs SVNewTech meetup.
- Lily L.; Microsoft, used to be with Google, “How do you get people to be excited about your product when you are the underdog?”
- Sally A.: originally an engineer, has been in marketing for 20 years, B2C / B2B, is super excited about agile methodologies and marketing – marketing involved with product development, fail fast.
- Katherine M. -Â does marketing at Tech Liminal; coaches small businesses in marketing.
- Take a left turn – “How do we come up with something really interesting?”
- Relationship building
- Developer-marketing relationship
- Power of storytelling
- Technical women – start out as an engineer and become PMs
- Growth hacking vs. marketing
- Agile / small time marketing
- Tripod: sales – marketing – product = most companies get one of those relationships but not all three