The first SheÂs Geeky in the Twin Cities was a success!
Thank you to the Twin Cities based organizing Host Team Lead by Liz Tupper @etupper and Jacque Urick @moarinternets ,Â and supported by Tami Esslinger @too_much_boredom , Whitney Shaw @whitneytaylor , Nicky Witters @nickywitters, Amelie Collins @panelectric, Elizabeth Petterson @betz_mn, Karen Scott and Jody Cabeen.
The Event was attended by 80 women and two daughters over the two days. 42 sessions were posted and held. You can access the Book of Proceedings of the notes. Â As you scroll down you will find links to Press and Blog Posts about She’s Geeky Twin Cities, transcription of the responses to the end of the day reflection for both days and a Thank You to our event Sponsors.
Links to Press and Blog Posts:
ABOUT She’s GeekyÂ http://www.shesgeeky.org/2010/07/shes-geeky-twin-cities-august-6-7th/
Interview with local organizer of the event Liz Tupper http://tech.mn/news/2010/07/21/calling-all-girl-geeks-shes-geeky-unconference-makes-its-first-midwest-stop-in-the-twin-cities/
Why SheÂs Geeky is Important to me by Jacqueline UrickÂ http://www.jacquelineurick.com/2010/07/22/why-sheÂs-geeky-is-important-to-me/
Jacqueline Urick Â post event blog postÂ http://www.jacquelineurick.com/2010/08/12/after-shes-geeky-twin-cities/
Tammy YoungÂ – Post event Blog PostÂ http://ymmat.com/2010/08/08/shes-geeky/
Sasha Westin Â Post event Blog PostÂ http://fabuliss.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/fabuliss-helps-shes-geeky-twin-cities-learn-more-about-style/
@socialnicole Â post event Blog PostÂ http://socialnicole.com/Â
@lgmelcher Â post event story for techdotmnÂ http://tech.mn/news/2010/08/11/girl-geeks-in-action-a-look-back-at-last-weekends-shes-geeky-unconference/
Jenna Pederson Â post event Blog PostÂ Â http://blog.jennapederson.com/2010/shes-geeky-in-review/
End of Day Review/Reflection:
Read how attendees completed the sentence ÂAs a result of todayÂ .Â that was presented at the end of the day
- Â I met more women interested in what IÂm interested in and came away with some great ideas in insights!
- Â I am excited to do more networking
- I feel more confident about networking with women and more Geeky (IÂm also cleaning out my closed)
- I appreciate the many points of view in my office
- I feel more empowered to pursue my geeky passions (and IÂm getting some business cards!)
- I have some new connections with inspiring women and a re-energized passion for building, innovating and just doing good work
- I remembered I can talk to people I donÂt know
- IÂve been re-encouraged that my Geekiness is loved and accepted
- I feel inspired to pursue my passions and want to more actively support those of other women
- I feel re-energized, confident and smart
- We will meet up and do illustration/arts & crafts animation/actingÂ – teach projects that explore and explain programming structure and algorithms
- I got to find out the a lot of women Âlike making thingsÂ like I do
- I feel more confident that IÂm doing the right things
- IÂve me so many women like me
- I will look for more similar opportunities in the future
- I was able to better express the unifying thread in my career & I feel more confident about my job search with some useful ideas & IÂm proud of being a Geek
- I expanded my network with some great people
- I connected with other women who are entrepreneurs or who want to be entrepreneurs
- We learned a lot from everyone and have a lot of new fodder for our style blog
- Geeky is even more awesome!
- I am going to demand my boss finally give my performance review and try to negotiate a salary increase
- I will be reassessing work and life
- I might start a blog (something IÂve wanted todo for a while) OR figure out how social media would help a start-up business
- I feel more grounded in myself
- I have made a lot of connections in the technology industry
- I will follow my ba
- I will begin to meet on a regular basis with fellow women entrepreneurs I met today, and take the next step with a business idea IÂve had for years!
- I feel like a successful entrepreneur and an expert in my field
- IÂm going to reflect on how often I ask for a raise
- I extended my network!
- I will not think of my job as work but a passion
- IÂve made new connections with some awesomely geeky women
- I got to play mini golf with great women, and learn about how embracing my inner geek can do wonders for my career life!
- I am going to get someone I work with to present at a conference
- I met some Great People that I will continue to stay in touch with
- I have received badly needed tips to help me organize my life
- I have some new contacts Â my user group may have new members Â I found a lot of fabulous people to follow on twitter Â I have a lot more reading material
- I feel more confidentÂ in the way IÂll work with outside vendors
- I met some interesting gamer GeeksÂ
- I met Geeky women in far more fields than I normally do
- Thanks for stimulating conversations and insights
- I feel recharged and energized and know someone reads my blog
- Affirms my belief in people coming together to learn and be open to each other and new viewpoints!
- I feel better equipped and more motivated to seek out a career that speaks to my passion!
- I feel like I have expanded my network
- IÂm reminded how important being surrounded by women is to my/our growth, personally and professionally
- I feel more comfortable networking, more focused and more connected to my career path
- I am going to GTD my closet
- I will wield the command line like a knife!
- I know there are other women in tech and who are otherwise Geeky and I feel more connected
- IÂm reenergized because so many women really do care about learning how to dress better
- IÂve received a lot of support and learned about new resources
- I am super certain I need to work on articulating and discovering the path I should be on
- IÂm going to add Professional McGyver to my linked-in resume and not just my twitter account
- I am full of ideas and I hope that IÂve helped others come up with their own. LetÂs make things happen!
- I met people who could help me address my two most pressing business problems
- Be better about staying engaged with the wonderful women I met this weekend
… I didn’t like it – I LOVED it!
Thank you again to our Sponsors!
The Science Museum of MinnesotaÂ www.smm.orgÂ @sceincemuseummn
Clockwork Active Media SystemsÂ http://www.clockwork.net/ @clockwork_tweet
ipHouseÂ Â http://www.ipHouse.com/Â @iphouse
FabulissÂ Fabuliss.com @Fabuliss
Minnestart http://www.minnestar.orgÂ @minnebar
SieEnt http://www.sieent.com @sieEnt
UMN – MinneWebCon http://www.minnewebcon.umn.edu/